DEW's Prepaid Debit Card is a Visa®-branded card account, which allows direct deposit of unemployment benefits payments to those who do not have a traditional bank account or who do not want their payment deposited into their existing bank account. There is no credit check required.
The deposit account is FDIC insured and follows all Regulation E requirements for consumer protection. The account owner has access to his or he funds 24 hours a day, seven days a week via purchases everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, ATMs and PIN-based point-of-sale (POS) terminals, as well as over-the-counter cash access through tellers at any Visa financial institution.
Click on each section below to read more information related to Prepaid Debit Cards.
- What are the benefits of having the card account?
The principal benefits are:
- Saves time – easy access to payment by 9:00 a.m. (standard direct deposit availability of funds) and no waiting in lines to cash a check.
- Convenience – use for purchases everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, pinned point-of-sale terminals and to make withdrawals at virtually any ATM 24 hours a day.
- Provides security – no need to walk around with large amounts of cash.
- Eliminates check-cashing cost – some pay up to 15 percent of face value to cash check at check-cashing stores.
- Improves control over money – take only what you need, when you need it.
- Account information and customer service – available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Why am I automatically receiving a DEW Prepaid Debit card for my unemployment benefits?
The main methods of payment for unemployment benefits in South Carolina are either direct deposit or prepaid debit card.
- How will I know if I'm enrolled for a DEW's Prepaid Debit Card?
You will receive a prepaid debit card package within five to seven days after being determined eligible to receive unemployment benefits.
- How do I receive my Personal Identification Number (PIN) to use with my card for transactions at the ATM and pinned point-of-sale?
You will choose your original PIN when you activate your card by calling into the DEW's Prepaid Debit Card Customer Service toll-free at 1-866-213-4074 or by visiting Online Customer Service.
After activation, you will simply follow the prompts for creating a PIN. If you would ever like to change your PIN in the future you may do that 24 hours a day, seven days a week through the same customer service channels.
- How long will it take to receive my first payment?
Please log in to your MyBenefits account to view your payment status. South Carolina residents can also call 1-866-831-1724 and press option 2 after entering your PIN number. Out of state residents can call 1-866-831-1725 and press option 2 after entering your PIN number.
When you receive your card, please read all information included with your card carefully to ensure proper activation and use of the card. We recommend you activate your card immediately.
- Will my name appear on my South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce Prepaid Debit Card?
Yes, your card is personalized with your name on it.
- Can my DEW Prepaid Debit Card account be a joint ownership account?
No. All South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce Prepaid Debit Card accounts will be issued in your name only, similar to how your unemployment benefits payment is issued in only your name.
- Can I use my Prepaid Debit Card immediately?
Once the card is received, you must call DEW's Prepaid Debit Card Customer Service toll-free at 1-866-213-4074 or visit Online Customer Service to activate the card. Once this occurs, you may use the card as soon as DEW makes your first deposit.
- How will I know if I have a payment?
Please log into your MyBenefits account to view your payment status. South Carolina residents can also call 1-866-831-1724 and press option 2 after entering your PIN number. Out of state residents can call 1-866-831-1725 and press option 2 after entering your PIN number.
- How can I be sure of the balance in my Prepaid Debit Card account?
You can complete a balance inquiry 24 hours a day at no cost by using automated account information via the toll-free customer service number 1-866-213-4074, at an ATM, or you may also visit Online Customer Service to check your balance. It is recommended you perform a balance inquiry before performing a transaction so you will know how much money is available in your South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce Prepaid Debit Card account.
- What are the fees associated with using my account?
Fees can be avoided with careful use of your card. For example, there are no fees when you use your card for a purchase at a merchant. Many grocery and convenience stores also offer cash back, without a fee, with a purchase. You can get cash from ATMs and from tellers at banks that accept Visa cards; however, fees may apply if you use an ATM other than at Bank of America. Read more information about fees and the SCDEW Prepaid Debit Card (PDF).
There are no fees for the following:
- Purchases from merchants that accept Visa debit cards
- ATM withdrawals at Bank of America ATMs in the United States
- One free teller cash access per week at banks that accept Visa cards
- Unlimited balance inquiries at ATMs and Online Customer Service
- One free card replacement per year
When you receive your card package, please thoroughly read your card agreement and refer to the Schedule of Bank Fees section to ensure you understand any transaction and service fees that may apply to your card.
- Can I get cash at a POS terminal?
Yes, many merchants like grocery and convenience stores and U.S. Post Offices will offer the ability to take up to a certain amount in cash back with a pinned point-of-sale purchase. The amounts could vary by merchant, but usually are $20, $50 or $100.
- Do I have to take my entire unemployment benefits payment on the day of deposit?
No. You may use your DEW Prepaid Debit Card everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, at pinned point-of-sale (POS) terminals and at ATMs for any portion of your available balance as often as you like. Safeguard your money and take only what is needed.
- Is there a daily maximum I can take from my DEW Prepaid Debit Card account?
No. Unlike a traditional bank account, the Prepaid Debit Card has no daily purchase or withdrawal limits, and you have full access to your available balance at any time. However, ATM owners determine how much their ATMs will dispense per transaction (up to 40 bills), and you may need to make multiple withdrawals to take the amount needed. If more cash is required, back-to-back withdrawals can be made.
- When are transaction fees charged?
Transaction fees are charged as they occur. Please refer to your complete Schedule of Bank Fees in your agreement to ensure you understand any transaction and service fees that may apply to your card.
- Whom should I call with questions about my DEW Prepaid Debit Card account?
You will be provided the toll-free South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce Prepaid Debit Card Customer Service number when you receive your card. This number is 1.866.213.4074 and is displayed on the back of your card, as well as within your user guide information. You may also obtain account information via Online Customer Service.
- Am I responsible for transactions that I did not make?
The Bank of America "Zero Liability" Policy protects you against fraudulent transactions if your card is lost or stolen (subject to certain conditions). If you lose your card or someone uses your South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce Prepaid Debit Card without your permission, it is important that you contact us as soon as you can to report the card lost or stolen, report any unauthorized transactions and begin the error resolution or dispute process. The account agreement you receive with your card will provide specific instructions on the dispute process and the time frames that apply to the Bank of America "Zero Liability" Policy. In addition, Visa Purchase Security and Visa Zero Liability programs also protect the consumer for unauthorized card use (Visa-brand cards only).
- How do I dispute a transaction?
All account disputes should be directed to the South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce Prepaid Debit Card Customer Service. You should contact us as soon as you can if you think your transaction activity or receipt is wrong, or if you need more information about a transfer on the transaction activity or receipt.
We must hear from you no later than 60 days after the earlier of either the date you electronically accessed your account--if the error or problem could be viewed in your electronic history; or the date we sent the FIRST written history on which the error or problem appeared. In any event, you must report the error or problem no more than 120 days after the transaction allegedly in error was credited or debited to your account.
A customer service representative will provide you with a dispute form to complete and return.
You should call TelClaim at 1-866-831-1724 to speak with a claims representative between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays.
- Can I use my local Bank of America banking center for customer service on this account?
No. All DEW Prepaid Debit Card customer service needs must be directed to the toll-free South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce Prepaid Debit Card Customer Service number at 1-866-213-4074. Banking centers can assist with standard checking and savings accounts, but not South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce Prepaid Debit Cards.
- What time of day can I withdraw or make purchases with my payment?
Your payment will generally be available at the traditional opening of business on the payment date, or approximately 9 a.m. After this time, you can access your payment by making purchases or withdrawing funds at any ATM 24 hours a day.
- How do I change my method of payment from a debit card?
You can go online at MyBenefits to change your method of payment. You can also call TelClaim at 1.866.831.1724 to speak with a claims representative between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays.