Skip to main content
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina

As of July 21st, SCWOS is back online. Claimants, please remember that you are required to complete at least two job searches while logged into your SCWOS account in order to remain eligible for benefits, and remember, you can check your claim status tracker by clicking “Go To My Home Page” when you login to the MyBenefits portal.

If you received an email asking you to complete a survey and you would like to know more, please call 803-737-0368 or visit

Both the employer system (SUITS) and the claimant system (MyBenefits Portal) will be down for monthly maintenance on Sunday, August 7, from 12-4 pm. 

We also make nightly changes to the claimant system (MyBenefits Portal) from 11 pm – 3 am, and the system will be temporarily unavailable during this time. 

How to Protest Benefit Charges

At the end of each quarter, every business receives a copy of all UI benefits charged against their account for that quarter. Within 30 days of the date of notice, you may protest the benefit charges if you disagree with the charges or find any errors.

The process to submit your Charge Protest has changed. You may submit your protest online using the Employer Self-Service Portal. If additional information is needed, DEW will contact you.

Employer Self Service Login User Guide (PDF)
Actual Benefit Charge User Guide (PDF)

At the end of each quarter, every business receives a copy of all UI benefits charged against their account for that quarter. Please review all benefit charges carefully. Benefit charges will affect your unemployment tax rate at a later date. If you disagree with any of your benefit charges or find any errors, you must protest the charges within 30 days of the date of notice. 

You will see any adjustments to your account in the next quarterly charge statement.

Appeals Information

When a former employee files for unemployment benefits, the S.C. Department of Employment and Workforce (DEW) investigates the claim. The agency will contact you and your former employee and then issue a determination letter detailing its initial findings. The letter will list any points of law DEW considered in making the determination.

If you disagree with the determination, you have the right to file an appeal. Each determination letter contains detailed appeal rights and information; make sure to read this information thoroughly. Your former employee, or any employer whose unemployment insurance tax account is affected by your claim, can also appeal the determination.

View more information on appealing a claim.